Comment on this post. I will choose seven interests from your profile and you will explain what they mean and why you are interested in them. Post this along with your answers in your own journal so that others can play along.
1. Cherry Blossoms. I think cherry trees are one of the most beautiful things on the planet when they're blossoming. Every time I go back to California during Spring Break, it's like the entire state has burst into flower. It's the most amazing thing. I've always wanted to go to Washington D.C. during cherry blossom season. It sounds AMAZING.
2. Collecting Jackets. Beyond my winter coat, I own 12 jackets. Three of them are velvet (black, bright blue, and red), two are blazers--one pinstripe and one in gray tweed, another two are military inspired, one is the top part of a vintage set of aviator dress blues, and then there's the vintage tailcoat and an antique oriental jacket in gold silk, and finally, my latest find, a turquoise double-breasted cowlneck jacket. This is not including all of the lightweight summer wear either. Suffice it to say, I love coats and jackets.
3. Honest Tea. If you haven't heard me babbling about Honest Tea at this juncture, YOU HAVE NOT BEEN HERE LONG ENOUGH. I started drinking Honest Tea when I was sixteen because I could no longer drink Snapple or Arizona (Liquid Candy, as the Honest Tea founders call it). I was taking my first flight on Jetblue, and they didn't serve food so my dad was like 'LET'S PICK UP SOME SNACKS.' Remember this was back in the day when you could still bring your own liquid on the flight. I got myself Red Vines, Gold Fish, and a bottle of Peach Ooh La Long on a whim. We've been in love ever since.
4. Javelin In Hand. This just goes to show that I'm a really big fucking dork. In Plutarch's Life of Demetrius, Plutarch makes a really big deal about how Demetrius and his father Antigonus were very close. The quote is, "It is evident that his feeling for Antigonus sprang from genuine affection, and not from mere regard for his power." Basically Antigonus made this big show of how Demetrius was allowed to sit next to him holding his javelins while he was on the throne. Basically, "Look how much he loves me, he'll sit next to me with his javelin and not suddenly leap upon me and spear me with it." What I take from this? THIS IS SERIOUSLY FUCKED UP, YO! For multiple reasons, A) that you would have to worry about it in the first place and B) that Demetrius would be so stupid as to try and murder you in front of everybody while cleaning his weapons. Oh, Hellenistic history, I love you.
5. Male Models, wait you have to ask?
There. 'Nuf said.
6. Sequins. I love sequins. I think I must have been a drag queen or a vaudeville girl in my last life. They should be on everything. I have a sequin totebag that I used to carry everywhere, but then my freshman year roommates made fun of me so I stopped wearing it. Fuck that. I should dig that bag out again.
7. Regency Period. High boots, tight pants, empire waists, low-cut necklines. It's before Queen Victoria becomes a prude (and sexually represses the western world) and those horrible hoop skirts set in, but after wearing wigs and spending the poor people into the ground. Although let's be honest, it's still an era of decadence. Colonialism (the better of two evil brothers) is still holding its ground against imperialism. Also, Napoleon is running around, Mr. Darcy is pining, Andrew Jackson is kicking the pants off the British two weeks after the Treaty of Ghent is signed, and best of all there's an ENTIRE genre of romance novels devoted to the romanticization of this time.